Monday, 23 March 2009
We're having a Twilight Vigil on Tuesday 24th March at 7pm to show our opposition to the Councils plans to develop our park.
We're meeting at the millenium bridge at 7pm (the red footbridge nearest the castle end of the park) or you can come find us in Dempseys at 6pm (Irish pub opposite the castle) and we can walk down together.
A number of reporters from the local press will be there so please come along, bring a candle, bring your friends and let the council know we don't approve of their 'developments'.
We look forward to seeing you there
I strongly object to the plan to run a road through I strongly object to the plan to run a road through the park the park
I am writing in support of your campaign to oppose the new road proposal for bute park,
As a regular user of Bute Park I strongly object to the plan to run a road through the park ,and in particular access by lorries. Cardiff is rightly praised for its green spaces, and in particular the unspoilt beauty and tranquility of Bute Park.
Saturday, 7 March 2009
Bute Park protesters’ cash claim
Mar 7 2009 by Martin Shipton, South Wales Echo
CAMPAIGNERS against a £1.4m scheme to bring articulated lorries into Cardiff’s historic Bute Park claim they have evidence that the idea is motivated purely by money.
On Thursday a group of concerned city residents met Cardiff council officials Mike Clark, from the authority’s special projects department, and Jon Green, a landscape architect. One of the residents, journalist Nerys Lloyd-Pierce, recorded the conversation, in which one of the officers said the park “has to be sustainable long term in terms of its running costs”.
The officers also conceded that the campaign group’s argument that the negative aspects of the scheme had not been stressed by the council was a “valid criticism”.
Ms Lloyd-Pierce said: “Up until now, the council has maintained that it wants to build a new bridge and widen the road so it is easier to bring in articulated lorries that are delivering plants to the nursery. The comments made by the officers to us make it quite clear that the park is seen by the council as a cash cow.
“They are sticking two fingers up to the public, who are overwhelmingly against this destructive plan. Thinking of revenue from big pop events is so short term.”
Professor Kevin Morgan, who chairs the Bute Park Alliance campaign group, said: “We have always known that the council was motivated by money but, so far as I am concerned, this is the smoking gun we have been looking for.
“I think it illustrates what many of us have really felt all along. For short-term financial gain, they are prepared to devalue a precious national asset.
“We have been engaged for some time in discussions with the Heritage Lottery Fund, which is funding the project. We have asked them to justify their support for building the bridge and the road and have been trying to persuade them to withhold the grant. We hope they take note of what the council has now made clear.”
Last night Liberal Democrat councillor Nigel Howells, the Cabinet member for culture, leisure and parks, said: “It’s politicians who decide council policy, not officers. The reason for this work is to make the park safer for pedestrians and cyclists and get more people into the beautiful park to enjoy it. It’s not about turning the park into a cash cow. We have no plans to organise more events in it.
“People have had the opportunity to make representations, the plan has gone through full council and the time for a judicial review has passed. The work will definitely be going ahead. There’s been a lot of misinformation – there’s no intention to build a road right through the park, and if there was I’d be joining the protesters.
“It’s all about providing a safer access. In a few years’ time, when new trees and shrubs have grown, everyone will have forgotten about this.”